Saturday 18 August 2012

HOW TO: THREAD A BCD CAMBAND

It amazes me how many times I’m at a dive site and I hear people asking for help to re-thread their BCD camband when it comes off.  I’ve even seen instructors ask other instructors after their student has approached them.  I don’t know why I’m surprised because actually when you come to think of it, when are we taught this in our training?  As far as I can tell we’re not.  Sure we’re taught how to put our equipment together but the camband is already made up.

With that in mind here is my how to guide.
(This was done on an AP Valves camband.  Most manufacturers should be similar however there are exceptions such as Halcyon’s Single Tank Adaptor (STA) which uses a slightly different design)

Firstly thread the free end of the camband through the metal d-ring attached to the buckle.












Next pass the free end through the left hand slot on the buckle (furthest away from the d-ring).






Now pass the free end back through the right hand slot on the buckle (closest to the d-ring).






And pull tight.
Now the rest is the same fitting it to your cylinder, however for the benefit of those who have forgot….

Keeping tension on the free end of the camband, close the buckle half way and thread the camband through the only available slot on the buckle.









Pull tight.













And snap shut.

















The boring bit!
All opinions expressed in my articles are my own and may differ to other instructor’s and agency guidelines; by no means are they wrong and I would not wish to disrepute any of them.  This article is for information only and should not replace proper training.

Safe diving!

Timothy Gort
BSAC, PADI & SDI/TDI diver training
l Mob: 07968148261 l Email: tim@rectotec.co.uk l

No comments:

Post a Comment